Saturday, December 31, 2011

Post Thirty-Seven: Far From the Madding Crowd

Been reading Thomas Hardy per my mom's suggestion. Though his writing is dense, thickly entwined with mundane details of passing blades of grass and the like, the story was well..to put it simply, pretty darn wonderful. Everything ended how I wanted it to in the beginning and I can't say that didn't satisfy me.

Anyhow. In reading it. There were some dog-earred pages. I've noticed in my daily life, in my own private journal writing, and in my attempts to explain myself verbally in person, I have really, quite literally, lost the ability to translate what i'm feeling these days into words. For a lot of reasons. One is that I don't understand at all what i'm feeling, making it hard to put words to it. Another is that even if i did understand, I don't think i'd have words that meant what I was trying to say anyhow. So. I'll just keep collecting things and see how that goes. Here are some words straight from the finger tips of Thomas Hardy that I have felt in one way or another tied to:

   "Bathsheba was stirred by emotions which latterly she had assumed to be altogether dead within her. The little attenuated voices of the children brought to her ear in distinct utterance the words they sang without thought or comprehension --
                       Lead kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom
                                 Lead Thou me on.
Bathsheba's feeling was always to some extent dependent upon her will, as is the case with many other women. Something big came into her throat and an uprising to her eyes - and she thought that she would allow the imminent tears to come if they wished. They did come and plenteously, and one fell upon the stone bench beside her. Once that she had begun to cry for she hardly knew what she could not leave off for crowding thoughts she knew too well. She would have given anything in the world to be as those children were, unconcerned at the meaning of their words because too innocent to feel the necessity for any such expression." -pgs 341 - 342

   "So together they went and read the tomb. 'Eight months ago!' Gabriel murmured when he saw the date. 'It seems like yesterday to me.'
   'And to me as if it were years ago -- long years, and I had been dead between.'" -pg 343

  "...Oak walked on to the village, still astonished at the rencounter with Bathsheba, glad of his nearness to her, and perplexed at the rapidity with which the unpractised girl of Norcombe had developed into the supervising and cool woman here. But some women only require an emergency to make them fit for one. " - pg 44

"I don't know - at least I cannot tell you. It is difficult for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs." -pg 308

And just because:

"Every window replies by a clang to the opening and shutting of every door, a tremble follows every bustling movement, and a creak accompanies a walker about the house like a spirit, wherever he goes."  -pg 64

Happy New Year. 2012, i beg you to be a year of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment